As we finished up Stargirl,I knew I wanted to do a final plot diagram activity. I found a pretty good Prezi of a story map for the novel. I had to change some of the vocabulary to make it appropriate for my class. (The fact that Prezis are editable and reusable is one of the things I love about the whole Prezi concept.)
I printed out a PDF of the plot line and passed out the pages randomly. I challenged them to put the events in order correctly. As we sat in front of the bulletin board,which I temporarily covered with a giant plot diagram, we took turns reading and placing the events in the appropriate place. We used push pins so that it was easy to rearrange when we needed to.
The final result was pretty impressive and showed me how they understood the story. They loved doing this activity.
Big impact. Little preparation. No worksheets. Win-win-win.