Making Reader’s Theater Scripts with Excel

Last year I took a few chapters of our novel, Stargirl, and turned them into a script so my students could do some Reader’s Theater.  You can read more about that here. 

I wanted to do something similar this year for When Zachary Beaver Came to Town, but was feeling a little overwhelmed and just didn’t have the time to make a script. And quite honestly, I think a script is a really big pain to type up.

Today it hit me that I could possibly use Excel and type it up in a spreadsheet.

The autofill feature let me enter the names “Sheriff”, “Zachary”, and “Toby” over and over again rather quickly. Typing the dialogue still takes awhile, but the layout is much easier to read.

I just ran the copies and think it looks pretty good (and it was definitely easier!)  Next time I will change the formatting a little bit, but for the first time I think it’s fine. It took my whole Prep period but it will be worth it tomorrow when they read it!

Here’s a peek at what I made.

All text is taken from the novel by Kimberly Willis Holt.

All text is taken from the novel by Kimberly Willis Holt.

One response

  1. […] done all year, this group was a little hesitant, unlike in the past when I’ve done reader’s theater type activities with our […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: